What we do
Upgrade Capital works closely with financial firms to understand the precise skills they value the most. We then design challenges and competitions to test for those skills.
Many of the most successful students we encounter are able to participate simply by sharing research they already completed. We are also always available to provide guidance, resources, and mentorship to those possessing genuine passion but lacking relevant experience.
We maintain ongoing relationships with the leaders of student groups across our Core Universities in order to:
- Raise awareness of relevant research, mentorship, and job opportunities made available by our corporate partners;
- Understand and stay aligned with the evolving interests of students at each university;
- Maintain awareness of best practices in the development of young investing talent through events like our annual Leaders’ Summit (clips); and
- Facilitate cross-university collaboration.
As of Fall 2016, our Core Universities are:
- Boston University
- Carleton University
- Carnegie Mellon
- Fordham University
- Georgia Tech
- London School of Economics (UK)
- New York University
- Notre Dame
- Oxford (UK)
- Peking University (China)
- Queen’s University (Canada)
- Texas A&M
- Tufts University
- University of Chicago
- University of Georgia
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota
- University of Missouri
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Toronto (Canada)
- University of Waterloo (Canada)
- UT Austin
- Western University (Canada)
The Upgrade Capital platform has two core elements:
- Access to exemplary work
To ensure that students who are new to investing know what kinds of work would be appealing to professional investors, we only showcase work liked by our industry partners.
- Research review
Industry partners as well as students they have previously vetted are able to see all incoming work. During major competitions, we ask them to provide feedback on any and all drafts they see before final reports are submitted.
Due to confidentiality and intellectual property concerns, the platform is only accessible to students and recent alumni from our Core Universities.